Saturday, May 1, 2010

5/1/10 Breakfast and lunch and the first ingredient to run out!

Well, I've done it. Run out of the first of my kitchen staples: black beans. To go with the chicken that's been thawing, I decided to cook up my favorite bean recipe. I'll be cooking some rice, too. But there weren't quite enough beans. I had a bit less than the 1 cup of dry beans the recipe called for. I'm making the recipe the same way as usual, not reducing anything. But even though I've often gone a whole month without cooking black beans, it makes me kind of sad to know this is my last batch for the forseeable future. I have a lot of other kinds of beans in the cupboard--at least 4 varieties, plus split peas--so I guess I could see what it would be like to cook this recipe using a different kind of bean! Not sure about that, though.

Breakfast today was burritos. I used the last two of the tortillas I made earlier in the week, and finished off the can of refried beans I started on Monday, too. I also used some of the beef fajita strips I'd marinated and frozen. I still have several bags of that meat in the freezer! And because I like cheese, of course there was some cheddar on the burritos, too. Oh, and while the meat was defrosting in the microwave, I had a first course of Jello. (594 cal, 22 g fat)

For lunch I decided I'd better make a salad, since I happen to have a head of iceberg lettuce in the fridge. I'm not sure that was the best idea, since I don't have many other vegetables to put in, and no ham, which I would often include in a salad. So it was a little bland. Lettuce, sunflower seeds, cheddar, a hard-boiled egg, and some ranch dressing I made using a recipe from www.cooks.com. I may need to add some more mayonnaise into the dressing; it was really thin. (382 cal, 28 g fat)

Hopefully dinner will turn out better than lunch. Which reminds me, I'd better go tend to the black beans simmering on the stove!

No comments:

Post a Comment